"You Made Me" is the twentieth episode in the fourth season of Adventure Time. It is the ninety-eighth episode overall.
The episode begins with Finn hooked up to Princess Bubblegum's new Aura Visualizer machine, using it to look at Crunchy's aura. Finn tells Princess Bubblegum that he wants to see Peppermint Butler's aura next, which causes Peppermint to hastily tell them "Heh, heh... you don't want to see that." Jake complains that he is tired, so he and Finn start to leave. On their way out, they see two Banana Guards in a room supervising the castle's cameras. After making Finn and Jake promise to keep it their "weird secret," the guards hesitantly point out a screen. At first Finn and Jake cannot see what they are talking about until the Banana Guards zoom in, and they catch the creepy, disturbing sight of Lemongrab stalking Chocoberry, watching her sleep in her bedroom. Soon a bunch of Candy People, including Princess Bubblegum, are in the security room watching Lemongrab. Princess Bubblegum finds Lemongrab to ask him what's wrong. Lemongrab tells her that Castle Lemongrab currently has no citizens and complains that he is the earl of nothing. saying that he is the earl of nothing. He then slips out of the window and runs away, tearing off his clothes and yelling "You made me! You're my Glob!" Princess Bubblegum can only watch him sympathetically and sighs from the window above him.
The next day Princess Bubblegum, Finn, and Jake gather the Candy People together to find someone to live with Lemongrab. No one offers to go, until the Pup Gang appears and tell Princess Bubblegum that they will live with Lemongrab in exchange for money and amnesty for past crimes. Princess Bubblegum agrees to meet their demands, and soon after the Pup Gang go to Castle Lemongrab to meet their new ruler. The Pup Gang begin to annoy Lemongrab by insulting him and disobeying his instructions, so he takes them to his "reconditioning chamber," where he electrocutes them as a punishment. Three days later Lemongrab goes back to the Candy Kingdom and continues to spy on the Candy People. Princess Bubblegum tries to calm him down and teach him the ways of being a good ruler by showing him how to pet and play with Candy People, which only causes Lemongrab to become irritated and upset. He pushes Crunchy to the floor and screams "It's gross!" He denounces Princess Bubblegum's ways, claiming that his ways must be right, and then runs off screaming and flailing his arms like a lunatic.
Finn and Jake are ready go after him and "crush this mess all accordingly," but Princess Bubblegum still wants to try to help Lemongrab. They all travel to Castle Lemongrab to find the Pup Gang and calm the earl down. Finn and Jake find the Pup Gang in the reconditioning room and try to help them get out; however, Lemongrab finds them, locks all of them in the room, and reconditions Finn and Jake along with the Pup Gang. Princess Bubblegum enters and tries to help, but gets cornered instead. The earl tells Princess Bubblegum that he does not want her help, because she was the one who made him the way he is in the first place, calling her "poison." Lemongrab aims his sound sword at her and fires, but Finn crashes through the glass wall of the reconditioning chamber and leaps in front of the blast, saving Bubblegum. Suddenly, a Lemongrab 2 walks into the room, and Lemongrab is confused. Princess Bubblegum explains that she made him for Lemongrab to be with so that he will no longer be lonely. Lemongrab and the clone inspect each other and curiously poke each other for a little while, until they both smile and nuzzle lovingly. They become best friends, and happily set Finn, Jake, and the Pup Gang free. The episode ends with the two Lemongrabs on their mounts saying goodbye to Princess Bubblegum, Finn, Jake, and the Pup Gang.
- Lemongrab 2
- Candy People
- Lemon Camel
- Winged Lemongrab Horse
- Jake is shown to be able to move things through his body freely. Princess Bubblegum is apparently familiar with this ability and favors it as a means to mount him.
- The title card music plays when Lemongrab and Lemongrab 2 touch each other.
- Finn's hat was destroyed in this episode.
- The promo art depicts the scene that Jake mentions where the Pup Gang threw a basketball at his head.
- This is the first time Lemongrab uses his sword.
- Lemongrab refers to the Lemongrab 2 as a "rigamarole" when introduced. Rigmarole is a somewhat outdated word meaning a "Long, incomprehensible statement or procedure; Nonsense." Lemongrab pronounces it as rigamarole. This is the common variant in the United States and how it is spelled in the storyboards. The term has its origins in the Ragman Rolls, a collection of 13th century documents.
- Princess Bubblegum is not wearing her crown in this episode. The reason for this is unknown.
- Peppermint Butler's apprehension of showing his aura to Princess Bubblegum suggests he does not want to reveal his true nature to her, as revealed in episodes such as "Death in Bloom," "Return to the Nightosphere," and "The Suitor."
- The title card music of "Burning Low" plays when Jake lets Princess Bubblegum hop on.
- This is Lemongrab's second appearance; the first one is "Too Young."
- Lemongrab's skin is darker than his first appearance in "Too Young."
- In the background of the Banana Guards' surveillance room, there is a wanted poster for Scorcher, last seen in "Hitman."
- The title card and the scene it depicts were strongly influenced by the story Frankenstein by Mary Shelley.
- The lion form Jake has taken resembles Japanese donut-house mascot Pon de Lion.
- Princess Bubblegum wears a hair style known as the crown braid; The Ukrainian politician Yulia Tymoshenko is known for wearing this style.
- When refusing to go and live with Lemongrab, the candy people shout, "no, no, we won't go!" This is very similar to what young American antiwar protesters shouted in response to the Vietnam War draft: "Hell no, we won't go!"
- "You Made Me" is the only episode in the fourth season boarded by Jesse Moynihan and Tom Herpich. This team also storyboarded "Too Young," Lemongrab's previous episode.
- When Lemongrab was using his sound sword for the first time, his shoes were missing, even though in the scene before, he was seen wearing them.
- In the same shot with the snail, Mr. Cupcake with an arm cast is shown for a split second on the monitor, despite the fact that he hadn't broken his arm yet. They seem to have corrected that, as the picture is now replaced with a hallway.
- The gap between Princess Bubblegum's legs is filled in when she agrees to grant amnesty to the Pup Gang, making it look like she is wearing a dress rather than pants.
- When Princess Bubblegum starts backing off after Lemongrab threatens her with his sword, the wall appears larger than it was and there is a looped scene (Lemongrab passing by the controls of the chamber as Princess Bubblegum slowly backs off).
- When the scene changes to show the second Lemongrab, eleven lockers are seen, but when the original Lemongrab approaches the clone, there are only two lockers.
- When Finn, Jake, and Princess Bubblegum get to Lemongrab's castle it has no doors, when he was talking to the Pup Gang it had doors. Also, a lemon tree that was next to the throne is gone, the throne seems to be higher and some sort of step that was on the floor is gone, the windows are smaller and the image of a lemon that was on the floor is gone too.
- When Finn opens the first door and gets out, the door is closed when he goes to the room opposite him. Then when he goes further down the door is opened.
- When Finn and Jake go into the security room with the Banana Guards, one of the screens in the back shows Crunchy. However, his aura has disappeared, even though it was shown about 10 seconds ago.
|See Full Storyboard|