"What Have You Done?" is the twenty-fourth episode in the first season of Adventure Time. It is the twenty-fourth episode overall.
- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Plot
- 3 Characters
- 4 Locations
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Videos
- 7 Gallery
- 8 References
Finn and Jake are seen in the Ice Kingdom at night, trying to avoid some Guard Penguins wielding Ice Axes. Finn says that their secret mission to capture the Ice King is underway, and then says he probably should not say that stuff out loud. The Ice King is seen in his depressed mode playing with a heart puzzle on his bed. Finn rings Ice King's doorbell and Ice King appears to confront the guest. At first, Ice King tries zapping, but then realizes no one is there. He notices that a small can of peanut brittle was left on his doorstep. Ice King opens the can and suddenly, Jake springs out of the can and grabs his crown. Ice King attempts to shoot them but he is unable to because his crown has all his powers in it. Finn yells out "Wrap attack!!" and ties up Ice King with a rope. Jake asks why they did this again, and Finn says Princess Bubblegum explained it all but was not very precise. They return with Ice King to the Candy Kingdom, which seems to be deserted. Princess Bubblegum arrives wearing a plague doctor mask and spraying a green fog everywhere. She takes them to a wall with a face on it and the face asks for the password. Bubblegum then pinches the face's cheek, and the wall suddenly turns into a door.
Princess Bubblegum says that the door leads to the dungeon where they would put the Ice King. Before Princess Bubblegum can have a chance to explain what exactly it was that Ice King did, she is called to the Grand Hall by Manfried. Finn and Jake decide to guard the Ice King until she returns.
Finn and Jake throw Ice King in a jail cell, with only two bars, but then add more. Jake looks at Ice King's crown and says it was probably stolen, but Ice King states that he made it with the magic that he stole. Ice King begins to tell the two that he is innocent and that he hasn't committed a recent crime in a while and did not deserve to be here, however, Jake disagrees. Ice King shows them a mirror (which was broken repeatedly after Ice King accidentally slammed it on the ground) explaining that they were the true jerks and they deserved to be in jail. Finally, Finn is convinced and decides to let Ice King go. At first, Ice King thinks it is a trick, but later decides to go along with it. Finn and Jake state that since they're the bad guys this time, they have to go to jail. Ice King gets his crown, opens a magic door, and escapes. Princess Bubblegum then walks into the dungeon and puts on a pair of pink gloves for interrogation. But when she turns around and sees Finn and Jake in jail, she gets irritated when Finn tells her that they let Ice King go.
The Princess takes the two to the grand hall where they see all the candy people lying in beds embedded in ice. Princess Bubblegum explains that Ice King kind of did this and kind of did not. 3 days ago, the Ice King wanted to show off his new trick to the princess by making snow from his beard but everyone became infected with Freezer Burn Flu. Princess Bubblegum said Ice King did not mean to cause the disease, and she learned that the only way to cure it was to obtain the "sad howls" of Ice King himself. But, when she begged to Ice King to help, he thought she was hitting on him. So she knew the only way to take the Ice King's howls was by force, that's why she told Finn and Jake to capture him.
Finn says he just cannot beat people up for nothing because it is against his alignment, but he promises he will find a way to save the Candy Kingdom. Princess Bubblegum thanks him, but she almost bursts into tears under all of the stress, so Finn calms her. Then Finn and Jake head back to the Ice Kingdom to obtain the howls.
When Finn and Jake enter, Ice King comes out and asks if they want to participate in game night, because he now thinks that Finn and Jake are his best friends for letting him go. But when Finn tells Ice King to howl, he says he could not possibly howl without giggling. Ice King walks over to Finn and says that there was a bug on him, which in reality was just Jake, only smaller. Ice King hits Finn, wanting him to get the "bug" off. Finn gets an idea on this and pretends he is dead. Showing guilt, Ice King picks up Finn's body and howls extremely loudly that it reached all the way to the Candy Kingdom, curing all of the inhabitants. When Princess Bubblegum sees that her people are getting healthy, she faints of happiness. Ice King then drops Finn and walks away. Finn says that was a mean thing to do and Jake says that if he came across Finn's lifeless body he would "clasp him dramatically for a kajillion years." Finn then plays dead and Jake carries him and wails back to the Candy Kingdom.
- Lady Rainicorn
- Oculus of Rehabilitation
- Candy People
- As written in the storyboard, the password that Princess Bubblegum uses to gain entrance to the dungeon is "ttubllaw." Reversed, it is "wallbutt."
- Princess Bubblegum said, in German, "Ich bin so glücklich! Ich könnte... Ich könnte..." (in English: "I'm so happy! I could... I could...") and passes out before she could finish.
- Phil Face appears on a pot that Finn turns around.
- On the book Princess Bubblegum reads about curing the Freezer Burn Flu, there is "5318008" written on the left page, which is the numerical equivalent of the word "Boobies", but written backwards.
- As Finn says "On your feet" to the Ice King, the Ice King carves "I.L.P.B." inside a heart on the cell wall, presumably meaning "I love Princess Bubblegum."
- In the flashback showing the Candy people getting sick from touching Ice King's beard flakes, the green gumdrop eats the flakes, then immediately his eyes and mouth turn red, and he falls over with X's on his eyes. This most likely means that he died from ingesting the flakes, while the others merely touched them and became ill.
- This is the first time Princess Bubblegum speaks German.
- This episode takes place after "The Duke" because Finn knows what penitence means.
- Princess Bubblegum will speak German again in "Go With Me" and "Frost & Fire."
- The fumigation suit the Princess is wearing is modeled after a plague doctor costume, which was worn by doctors during the Black Death, and has since become a popular Venetian Carnival costume. Although, being Princess Bubblegum, the typical black was changed to pink.
- The "Oculus of Rehabilitation" character guarding the Ice King is a reference to the philosopher Jeremy Bentham's Panopticon.
- There are several more references to Dungeons & Dragons in this episode. Ice King casts "Detect Secret Doors" when leaving the dungeon, a classic spell from the game. At one point Finn says that keeping the Ice King captive is against his alignment, which is a morality system in the game.
- The box that contains the Ice King's board game reads, "Poots and Bladders," a play off of the game "Chutes and Ladders."
- When Finn and Jake attempt to get the Ice King to "voluntarily" give up his howls, Ice King rolls on the floor and exclaims, "I'm a Banana!" There was a viral video in the late 2000s where a Cartoon banana man said the same thing, seemingly for no reason. The video, which was originally created in the year 2000, is entitled Rejected by legendary animator Don Hertzfeldt.
- Princess Bubblegum's medicine book depicts Ice King's wails of pain directed to possible candy people, implying that Freezer Burn Flu has happened before.
- The Ice King claimed he made his crown with magic he stole. This was later proven partially true in "Evergreen," when Urgence Evergreen and Gunther steal the powerful ruby eyes of the ancient lava dog Magwood to power the crown's magic. Therefore, the crown was made with stolen magic, only it wasn't the Ice King who made it. Ice King's statement in this episode is possibly a result of the crown rubbing off some of its past memories on him.
- This episode was previously titled "Ice King Has a Point." The Frederator blog reported that "Ice King Has a Point" had the production code 692-027, replacing a canceled episode with production code 692-006.
- When Ice King says "You fools have no business guarding prisoners," his arm disappears for a bit.
- In the first shot when Ice King is holding up the mirror before it shatters, Finn is on the left and Jake is on the right. However, when Ice King is holding up the mirror shard again, Jake is on the left and Finn is on the right.
- Just before releasing Ice King when Finn says "On your feet," his mouth does not move.
- When Finn and Jake are in the Ice King's cell, the mirror he smashed is still leaning up against the cot.
- While Ice King was flying away from the Candy Kingdom, his eyes appear as black dots instead of white eyes.
- In the same scene, he appears to be flying away without using his beard or hair to fly.
|See Full Storyboard|