"The Limit" is the twenty-second episode in the second season of Adventure Time. It is the forty-eighth episode overall.
The episode starts with Finn and Jake looking at the night sky with Hot Dog Princess at her house. The two hope for a shooting star so that they can wish for an Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant. A firework is shot into the sky, which Jake initially mistakes for being a shooting star. The firework then explodes and spells the acronym B.U.T.T. Hot Dog Princess quickly identifies this as a distress signal from her other Hot Dog Knights, who were sent to rescue her other other Hot Dog Knights from a labyrinth. She says that the acronym means "Baby Us Trouble Time," and takes this to mean that the Knights are in grave danger, as Hot Dog Knights are notoriously "slow." Since the Hot Dog Knights in the yard are playing in the mud, Finn and Jake tell Hot Dog Princess that she does not need to worry and offer to rescue the knights themselves. When they arrive at the Labyrinth, Jake suggests they merely stretch over the walls, but Finn points out a nearby sign that reads "No Cheating Or You DIE." Jake then comes up the idea of wrapping his legs around a tree stump and stretching his body through the Labyrinth to prevent the duo from getting lost. They are only a few feet in the Labyrinth when they find the Hot Dog Knights that sent the distress signal, who are afraid that they will be eaten. Not long after Jake explains that he and Finn are there to save them, one of the knights tells of a magical wish-granting creature at the center of the labyrinth. Finn and Jake seize the opportunity so that everyone will receive their wishes when they reach the end of the Labyrinth. As they descend deeper in the Labyrinth, Finn and Jake sing a song. Afterwards, Finn notices that Jake's stretching powers are pushed closer and closer to their limits and his strength begins to wane, as he is also forced to use his powers to combat various traps. While Finn suggests that they should turn back for Jake's own good, the knights cheer Jake on, and so they continue in spite of Jake's weakening condition. As the group draws closer to the center of the labyrinth, a giant statue holding a puzzle poses as what appears to be the final obstacle. Even though Jake is so stretched out he cannot even close his eyes, he continues to push himself at the request of the knights. He solves the puzzle, allowing them all entrance to the center where they meet Aquandrius who will grant their wishes. They enter the chamber, accidentally leaving one of the knights behind who winds up breaking the puzzle. The door slams shut and crushes Jake, trapping the others inside as well. Finn thinks that all they have to do is wish themselves out, but when one of the knights rushes for the Eel, he is killed by a trap. Once again Jake strains his body so that he can carry the others across the lethal hidden traps in the floor. Aquandrius warns them that there are "no do-overs." The remaining two Hot Dog Knights take their small magical orbs and wish for a box and to blow up (the second who wished to blow up wanted to grow in size, but exploded instead.) Jake absentmindedly wishes he was not so hungry, and receives a sandwich. With only one wish left, Finn must ultimately decide whether or not to save Jake or wish for the Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant that they both wanted. In the end, he wishes for the elephant, and has it wish for Finn's friends to be saved. Jake and the Hot Dog Knights appear alive and well, and they leave with Finn on the elephant, with Aquandrius cursing them as they leave.
- Hot Dog Princess
- Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant
- Crystalline Demon
- Labyrinth Worm
- Hot Dog Kingdom
- "Sing 'Cause Yo Mama Said"
- "Wish Upon a String"
- Jake claims that he will do anything for anyone if he or she says his name three times.
- An eye symbol appears in various places throughout the labyrinth.
- In this episode it is revealed that hot dog people are immune to poison.
- The Ancient Psychic Tandem War Elephant returns in the Season 6 episode "Furniture & Meat", still in Finn and Jake's possession. He is later given freedom to wander the world in "Something Big".
- Jake loves to wish for a sandwich as he also wishes for one from Prismo in "Jake The Dog", though Prismo denies him and explains he can just make him one.
- Jake also makes a sandwich appear instead of what Finn wants in "Graybles 1000+", when using the Thought Cannon Wand and accidentally thinking of a sandwich.
- Jake's claim that he will do anything as long as people chant his name holds true later on in "Jake the Starchild" when he must stretch to unlock a temple door.
- The Hot Dog knights make a reappearance in "The Dark Cloud."
- Jake's idea to stretch out to avoid getting lost is a reference to the idea of the Greek hero Theseus who used nothing but string to also avoid getting lost in the Labyrinth.
- An episode of The Amazing World of Gumball shares the same name as this episode. Both episodes also aired during their respective shows' second seasons.
- There is also a book by Kristen Landon which also shares the same name.
- This episode's original name was "Wish Upon a Maze."
- In the closing shot of the episode, an overhead view of the Labyrinth shows some of its walls spelling out the word "APRIL." This is because Jesse Moynihan was forced to put this in the episode under order of one of his friends, according to a video answer on his vYou account.
- The golem's size, compared to Finn and Jake, changes in each scene.
- Even though Jake said that his eyelids were so tight that he could not close his eyes, he still managed to blink.
- While Jake is completing the cat puzzle, there is one square missing (for the others to slide around), but when the camera shows the finished puzzle, it has no missing squares.
- When the hot dog knight said "I wish to blow up," he finished the sentence after he exploded.
This episode was censored in some countries. See Censorship of Adventure Time for more information.