"Hitman" is the fourth episode in the third season of Adventure Time. It's the fifty-sixth episode overall.
The story opens with the Breakfast Kingdom, where Breakfast Princess and Toast Princess are eating breakfast. Suddenly, Ice King comes and tries to put honey on their waffles. They call Finn and Jake to save them, who grounds Ice King for four weeks. Back at the Ice Kingdom, Ice King is angry at the two, so he goes online and hires a hitman named Scorcher, who he believes will literally hit Finn and Jake. Instead, Scorcher sets Finn and Jake's Tree Fort on fire while they are making sandwiches with meat from their friend, Meat Man. Ice King then bursts in and puts out the fire but ruins the duo's sandwiches. After being scolded by Finn, Ice King flees back to his castle where he reveals to Scorcher that he did not want him to kill Finn and that he put out the fire. Later that night, Scorcher goes to Finn and Jake's bedroom and turns into smoke that fills the bedroom, possibly attempting to kill them by suffocation. Ice King then uses his Ice Powers to blow the smoke away.
Back in the Ice Kingdom, Ice King unsuccessfully tries to bribe Scorcher with money, a singing deer head, and a pair of night vision x-ray goggles to stop killing Finn and Jake. He also tries to get Scorcher to change his target to Lumpy Space Princess or Ghost Princess because they are his least favorite princesses, but fails. Finally, he hires Blastronaut, a hitman-hitman (a hitman who hits other hitmen), to take out Scorcher, but Scorcher easily defeats him. Ice King is then able to distract Scorcher by saying, "someone got hit in the boingloings," and freezes him, then runs to the Tree Fort.
Finn and Jake have just woken up and Jake decides not to eat anymore of Meat Man's meat because he is having dreams about him. Ice King comes and reveals that he had hired a hitman to kill them. Then Scorcher comes to finish off Finn and Jake. As they run from him, Ice King puts an ice dome over them and reveals a plan to trick Scorcher by freezing Finn and Jake and lowering their body temperatures to make him think they're dead. The duo is against this but Ice King does it anyway and the plan works. After Scorcher leaves, there is a note in cursive left that says, "Echos [sic] of past events nudge the tiller on my present course, I await it's [sic] reflection in the future" and it has a signature that appears to start with an "S," presumably Scorcher. After that, the Ice King climbs on top of Finn and Jake and mocks them by saying they're grounded under his butt.
- Upon completion of his hit, Scorcher vanishes in flames, but not before dropping an enigmatic note which the Ice King reads, and then quickly discards. The note reads as follows:
Echos of past events
nudge the tiller on
my present course
I await it's [sic] reflection
in the future
*Note: This is illegible, but presumed to be his signature
- Ice King states that Lumpy Space Princess and Ghost Princess are his least favorite princesses.
- When Ice King searches Hitman on his computer, there is a description of the Scorcher as "Quick, Quiet, Relentless."
- At the end of the Ice King's letter to Scorcher it says, "<3, the Ice King."
- When Finn and Jake are making sandwiches, on the close-up of Meat Man's meat, a small, yellow creature can be seen poking out of Jake's sandwich.
- Jake's coffee cup has an image of a pink shark over a rainbow.
- In this episode, Ice King demonstrated traits of Simon, going against Finn and Jake's wishes of being frozen, in order for them to stay alive. Ice King seems to do the necessary deeds in order for everyone to survive, similar to how he treated a young Marceline.
- This is the first time anyone uses the word "boingloings," with the second time by Finn and Jake in the episode "A Glitch is a Glitch."
- When the Ice King starts his computer to order a hitman, its start-up logo is a pear, a parody of the Apple logo.
- Blastronaut bears a strong resemblance to Samus Aran from the Metroid games.
- This episode was previously titled "Hitcapades"; this title referred to the Ice Capades, a long-running touring ice skating show.
- In the original storyboard, the Ice King tries to distract Scorcher by saying "Someone got hit in the nuts." instead of "Someone got hit in the boingloings."
- This episode aired with the season 2 finale of Regular Show (with the episode being "Karaoke Video").
- When the Ice King hires Blastronaut, the screen says 'Target Aquired' instead of 'Target Acquired'.
- The note Scorcher leaves behind reads "...I await it's reflection..." when presumably should read "...I await its reflection..." While this is poetry, and the intent may have been for a contraction, context suggests this is in fact an error.
- When the Ice King offered the money to Scorcher, one of the dollar bills was floating above the rest of them.
|See Full Storyboard|