|This article is about Gunter the penguin. You may be looking for Gunther the dinosaur.|
Breaker of Worlds
Destroyer of Worlds
|Actual age||1.32×1010 (older than the Big Bang)|
|Species||Cosmic Entity (formerly disguised as a penguin and currently an Ice Wizard)|
|Occupation|| Servant/Companion of the Ice King (formerly)|
Ruler of the Ice Kingdom
|Family|| Kitten (offspring)|
Ice King (owner, formerly)
Turtle Princess (wife as of "Come Along With Me")
Bird Woman (alternative dream form)
|First appearance||"What is Life?"|
|Last appearance||"Come Along With Me"|
|Voiced by||Tom Kenny|
It was just time to come out again. Glob K'Oing himself, the arrival of the catalyst comet and a ship to carry me out of this world's gravity. These were just the doors The Universe opened up to me. It's all yours if you're willing to take it. Destroy Worlds, crush anyone blocking the door, feel their bones crumble and their goo spilling out. You can't stop me, I'm Orgalorg.
—Orgalorg, The Comet
G. Gunter is the penguin that most commonly accompanies the Ice King. The Ice King uses Gunter as his personal servant, whereas the other penguins working for the Ice King are essentially slaves. In truth, Gunter is the primordial space deity known as Orgalorg and feared as the Breaker of Worlds.
Banishment to Earth
The powerful space deity named Orgalorg was banished by Grob Gob Glob Grod to Earth thousands of years ago for trying to absorb the power of a catalyst comet and rule the solar system. Orgalorg ended up being defeated by Grob Gob Glob Grod and was exiled to Earth. The planet's gravity condensed Orgalorg into a powerless and amnesiac penguin-like form, and he wandered the Earth for centuries, eventually stumbling upon the Ice King.
As the Ice King's Companion
Gunter is mentioned in "What Have You Done?" when Ice King says, "Gunter, dispose of Finn's carcass."
Gunter appears again in "It Came from the Nightosphere," where his/her soul is almost stolen and is dubbed "by far, the most evil thing I've encountered" by Hunson Abadeer, and thrown at the Ice King. The Ice King's response is "Gunter, who told you you could fly?"
Gunter re-appears in the episode "Still," trying to mess with the potions Ice King brought to freeze Finn and Jake. Ice King says that Gunter likes to break bottles, which Gunter eventually does. He/She is shown to be a troublemaker in this episode.
Gunter appears multiple times in "Holly Jolly Secrets Part I" and "Holly Jolly Secrets Part II." Notably, during his/her "Penguin Dance Party" video, Ice King calls two different penguins "Gunter" in the same scene. It is unknown whether this was intentional by the show's staff.
In "Five Short Graybles," Ice King makes Gunter float out to sea on an iceberg because he believes that Gunter is making his castle smell bad. It is also shown that Gunter can play the keyboard, though not very well.
In "Princess Monster Wife," it is revealed that the other penguins are named a variant of "Gunter," and only one penguin is addressed as Gunter.
In "Reign of Gunters," Gunter proves s/he is the most (potentially) evil entity in Ooo, excluding the Lich, by using Ice King's demonic wishing eye to conquer Ooo and destroy all of its glass objects. At one point, the army of Gunters ran out of bottles to break, so Princess Bubblegum suggested reconstructing the bottles to perpetually keep Gunter occupied. Gunter got impatient, however, and attempted to shatter one of the Gumball Guardians' heads (seeing as it is essentially a giant bottle), showing that Gunter is so obsessed with shattering glass that s/he does not particularly care whether they are sentient or not. Gunter is only stopped when the Ice King returns from his outing, scolding him/her for taking his wishing eye and telling him/her to go back to the castle.
In "Jake the Dog," Ice King accuses Gunter of taking his crown jewels.
In "I Remember You" Gunter is being held and sung to by Ice King, who is wearing a Marceline wig. Ice King sings a cover of "Fry Song," replacing many of the words with "Gunt," and Gunter starts chewing on the wig.
In "Five More Short Graybles," Gunter is among the penguins who want to lick Ice King's salty tears, but Ice King pushes him/her away, telling him/her that s/he's on a "low-salt diet."
In "Princess Potluck," Gunter helps Ice King by baking lasagna to feed the rabbits to ruin Princess Bubblegum's potluck. Afterward, Ice King dresses Gunter as a princess (using old socks and a bottle cap) and tells him/her to go to the party and throw fruit punch at everybody. However, everyone at the party recognizes Gunter and starts cheering him/her, who starts to party along.
In "The Party's Over, Isla de Señorita," Gunter is sleeping on the ice couch with a game console. Before Ice King leaves, he tells Gunter that he is now the "man of the house," and kisses him on the forehead.
In "Play Date," Gunter is mentioned, and it is revealed that he/she regularly only says "Wenk!"
In "Betty," Gunter is allowed to wear the crown again just like in "Earth & Water" and has been given some control in the Ice Kingdom for a short time as Ice King (known at that time as "Simon" due to being transform to human in the episode) is building a generator.
In the episode "Orgalorg," Gunter suffers a head injury and is lead by his nature as Orgalorg. In the end, the Ice King tries, poorly, to tend to Gunter's head wound.
Despite Ice King fixing his/her head Gunter's brain came out even more in "Hot Diggity Doom/The Comet." Gunter can now change into its true form Orgalorg. Orgalorg played as the main antagonist in this two-parter. Oraglorg tried to fight the Catalyst Comet but was brought back to Earth as a penguin and appears to be harmless and has lost all memory of Orgalorg.
In "King's Ransom," Gunter is kidnapped by Betty Grof and Ice King needs the help from Finn and Jake to get him back.
During the aftermath of the Gum War, the Ice King is reverted to Simon and Betty loses her wizard powers after being "digested" by GOLB. With the Ice King's crown reverted to its essential wish-state, Betty, unable to simply wish GOLB away, wished to protect Simon, and became merged with GOLB and left, leaving the crown behind. Gunter proceeded to wear it and was then transformed into a being similar to Ice King, with the crown morphed into his new form.
At some point after this, Gunter ends up marrying Turtle Princess.
1000 Years Later
Gunter has degenerated into a more savage form.
Gunter looks like a regular penguin with big black eyes. She/he has a black back, black flipper-like wings, and a white flat belly. She/he also has a pointed yellow beak and yellow feet with three toes.
Despite normally not wearing any clothes, Gunter wears outfits in some episodes:
- Still - Gunter briefly wore an Ice collar.
- Holly Jolly Secrets Part II - Gunter wore a red sweater with Christmas-related designs.
- Reign of Gunters - Gunter wore the Demonic Wishing Eye and wrapped itself with tape along with The Kitten.
- I Remember You - Gunter briefly wore a wig that looks like Marceline's hair.
- Jake the Dog - Gunter wore a wet floor sign-shaped outfit that says "I STEAL JEWELS."
- Princess Potluck - Gunter was dresses as a Princess. Gunter had a penny on top of its head and a mass of socks sticked to itself using tape. Gunter carried a taser beneath the socks. Another one was also dressed up, it wore red baking gloves.
- Earth & Water - Gunter wore the Ice Crown as the temporary ruler of the Ice Kingdom.
- Betty - Gunter wore the Ice Crown again but this time the Ice Crown had gray gems instead.
After the accident in the episode "Orgalorg," Gunter's head is cut apart and his/her green "brains" sticks out. In the episodes "Hot Diggity Doom" and "The Comet" his/her brain became a mind of its own with torso and arms, disguising itself as Mr. X. When exiting Earth's atmosphere, Orgalorg expands to about the height of Grob Gob Glob Grod, with a white head with multiple eyes and a beak on top, and a yellow, scaled body that resembles a dress or robe of sorts. As seen in "The Comet," he/she can expand even further, to the point of resembling an umbrella or jellyfish, with a star shaped mouth on its underside and five eyes surrounding the mouth, bearing a close resemblance to the vampire squid (Vampyroteuthis infernalis).
When first becoming the Ice Thing, the Ice Crown is morphed into his head with the three jewels (although he/she inevitably loses one) above his long blue nose. He has a white beard/hair, like Ice King's completely covering his face. He wears a blue tunic similar to Ice King and has two lightning bolt-shaped ears and large bird feet, similar to Urgence Evergreen.
In the future, the Ice Thing's appears similar, but seems to be only a flying beard having no torso, arms or legs, with a nose, mouth, and two gems with one missing and a lot larger than previously.
Sex and gender
There are a number of penguins that Ice King refers to as Gunter, or a variant thereof. He pronounces it differently depending on the penguin's personality. This is shown in "Princess Monster Wife" when multiple penguins are addressed with some variant of Gunter (e.g. Gundy, Gunder, Gunthy, Goonter, Günder...). Because of this, it is difficult to ascertain the sex and gender of Orgalorg/Gunter, if there is a single Gunter.
Other characters typically refer to Gunter by masculine pronouns. For example, in "The Party's Over, Isla de Señorita," Ice King tells Gunter he is now the man of the house. However, in "The Chamber of Frozen Blades" Gunter lays an egg, which would likely mean it is female, although male penguins take care of their eggs. Also, in "Hoots," Orgalorg/Gunter manifests as a female bird in its dreams.
In "Orgalorg," Gunter is revealed to be a space deity named Orgalorg and thus may be genderless.
Gunter is a vandal penguin who doesn't care about what he/she breaks, as shown in "Still." But in Gunter's first appearance "What is Life?," Gunter was helpful and tried to warn Ice King that Finn and Neptr were in his room. At times, Gunter can be neutral. In "Reign of Gunters," Gunter's evil nature is shown with intent to conquer Ooo and, as Orgalorg, the entire solar system. In "The Comet," Gunter/Orgalorg follows an "open door" philosophy in which he would take advantage of whatever opportunity presents itself to him, crushing anyone or anything who stands in his way (whether it be bottles or even planets).
Gunter can also be annoying as seen in "Five Short Graybles" when he/she kept playing the keyboard. But, Gunter can also be fun shown in "Princess Potluck" when he/she joined the potluck and danced. Sometimes, Gunter also acts and sounds like a duck even though Gunter is meant to be a penguin.
As the Ice Thing, he seems goofy, yet happy and is similar to Ice King.
Powers and Abilities
- Gunter has good reflexes. In "Princess Potluck," Gunter was able to strike Ice King and Finn quickly with his/her taser.
- In "Reign of Gunters," Gunter uses the Demonic Wishing Eye to make some clones that irritate Finn and some giant Ice Penguin Monsters capable of defeating the Gumball Guardians.
- In "Earth & Water," Gunter uses the Ice Crown to create some Strangling Snow Snakes that attack Finn and Ice King.
- As Orgalorg, Gunter can survive in the vacuum of space.
- Gunter, in his/her Orgalorg form, can expand and change its shape when under the influence of little or no gravity.
- Gunter had some skill as a combatant, being able to exchange blows with Glob before being defeated. Even as a penguine, Gunter was known to slap people when aggravating him/her. In "It Came from the Nightosphere," when Hunson Abadeer is trying to suck Gunter's soul, Gunther slaps him before his\her soul has been sucked.
- As the Ice Thing, Gunter can fly and probably has power over ice and snow.
- Gunter can be easily distracted like the other penguins as revealed in "What is Life?" when Gunter kept walking to Finn and Neptr in a circle.
- Gunter can easily be subdued with the "Squirty-Squirts" as revealed in "Reign of Gunters" when Ice King used it to defeat Gunter.
- Under the confines of Earth's gravity, Orgalorg's form was condensed into that of Gunter and his abilities are vastly limited.
The Ice King sometimes gets upset at Gunter, such as when he/she accidentally broke his video game or ate his socks, but the Ice King seems to appreciate his/her company. Ice King told Gunter that he loves him/her in "Holly Jolly Secrets Part I." The Ice King often speaks to him/her affectionately like a father. For example, in "What is Life?" Ice King calls Gunter "daddy's little fatty," and he often addresses him/her with terms of endearment such as "honey" or "sweetie."
In "Come Along With Me," Gunter puts on the Ice King's crown, fuses with it and transforms into a being that looks similar to the Ice King. According to Jake, this was because Gunter "wished to be Ice King."
As Gunter's only child, Gunter gives a lot of parental affection to Kitten. Throughout "The Chamber of Frozen Blades," Gunter is seen kissing and hugging her/his egg. Gunter also does this in "Reign of Gunters."
People of Its Homeworld
To the people of the world where Orgalorg came from, its existence was only known to those of the older generation and not those of present times. Those of the past feared and understood Orgalorg's true power and worshipped it like a god, while the young believed he was only a myth made up to prevent them from making out.
- "Gunter" appears in the opening scene of every episode that plays during the Theme Song.
- In "Bad Little Boy," an alternate Gunter in Ice King's fiction story is seen being ridden by Fionna and Cake.
- The inhabitants of Orgalorg's Homeworld were all scrapped ideas for Orgalorg's design.
- It is possible that Hunson Abadeer could tell that Gunter was more than just a penguin and that he was in fact a dark cosmic entity, as he says that the penguin is "by far, the most evil thing I've encountered" in "It Came from the Nightosphere."
- In the episode "Holly Jolly Secrets Part II," BMO deciphers a complicated code in the Ice King's crying, which reveals an image of Gunter when printed.
- Gunter (variations: Günther, Gunthar, Gunder, Gunnar) is a common Germanic name made of the roots "*gunþiz" ("fight," "battle," "war") and "*harjaz" ("crowd," "army," "folk"). The fact that the Ice King calls all his penguins some variant of Gunter, while partially some sort of effect of the crown, also reflects that the penguins are an army of sorts for him.
- In a storyboard version of the episode "The Chamber of Frozen Blades," Gunter's offspring was going to be a hybrid Ice King/penguin creature. However, as Adam Muto explained, he originally drew a glowing kitten, but Thurop Van Orman (who was working on the show at the time) wanted it to be an Ice King/Penguin offspring, which they thought would be a "cool gross-out moment." However, the network rejected that idea, and it went back to being a kitten.
- Marceline's journal has the name Gunter on it in the episode "Marceline's Closet."
- Gunter, according to the Ice King, likes to smash bottles and eat socks.
- Ice King has a picture of Gunter in his diary in "The Chamber of Frozen Blades."
- In the game FusionFall, Gunter is a supporting character in the game along with Finn, Princess Bubblegum, Jake, and the Ice King. S/he also has an evil fusion counterpart called Fusion Gunter.
- In "Reign of Gunters," Finn, Jake, and the Ice King continuously refer to Gunter as "Gunther," with an "h."
- In "All the Little People," Little Gunter is seen following Finn's hand when he puts down Ice King's drums, even though Little People exist in another dimension and they cannot see Finn's. This implies Little Gunter can see Finn's dimension. However, it could be because it would have seen Ice King's drums floating in their dimension.
- In "Simon & Marcy," when wearing the crown, Simon refers to Marceline as "Gunter."
- In "Princess Potluck," Gunter is shown to own, or at least temporarily have possession of, a taser which he/she uses against both the Ice King and Finn.
- Orgalorg might be (besides Hunson Abadeer and the Lich) the oldest character in the series since he was said to have existed before time itself alongside the other monsters in Lich's speech.
- Despite Orgalorg's size being by any means enormous, he is still smaller than the other monsters shown in "Gold Stars" in the Lich's speech.
- Orgalorg penguin form might be a reference to the Albino Penguins from H.P. Lovecraft's story, At the Mountain of Madness. Orgalorg's original appearance might also be a reference to the 'Elder Things' that supposedly bred the penguins.
- Jesse Moynihan revealed that Orgalorg was intended to be the villain for the abandoned television movie.
- Orgalorg's motion is very similar to a vampire squid (Vampyrotheuthis infernalis).
- In the episode "Temple of Mars," the second trial shows how the Ice Thing is changing all the numbers in the equation. The equation might represent Simon by Betty trying to fix the equation. The Ice Thing could represent the crown as it tries to make the equation (Simon) incorrect.
- Ice Thing's name is also a pun on "Ice King."
- The Ice Thing doesn't have the third gem of the crown; it is first shown in the episode "Skyhooks II" that it falls off, but later in "Come Along With Me," it is shown to be part of the ring of Turtle Princess, and a similar jewel is embedded in one of Gibbon's eyes around one thousand years in the future, as shown in Come Along With Me's intro sequence. It is likely to be the Ice Thing's missing jewel, as it is identical to it. It also happens to be in Gibbon's left eye, and the missing jewel is the crown's leftmost gem.
- Gunter put on the crown and wished to become Ice King similar to how Gunther (Evergreen) used it and wished to become Urgence Evergreen.
- Gunter is a playable character in Adventure Time Battle Party.
- Gunter is seen in Legends of Ooo, holding a sign that reads "Princesses Only."
- Gunter is seen with his/her Kitten as the boss in the game Break the Worm.
- Gunter is a playable character in Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON’T KNOW!.
- ↑ Defined as an "ancient cosmic entity" in "Orgalorg"
- ↑ http://new.spring.me/#!/skronked/q/232588381605870650
- ↑ "Orgalorg"
- ↑ http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/adventuretime/characters/index.html
- ↑ "The Comet"
- ↑ https://40.media.tumblr.com/95efdb96dbff20272b9d84dc1b452734/tumblr_nplg6udKn51uwb31io1_1280.png