Fionna (previously spelled Fiona and also known as Fionna the Human) is an in-universe fictional character and the gender-swapped version of Finn who was created by the Ice King in his fan-fiction from a strange red glowing inspiration during Ice King's sleep. In the real world, she was created by series character designer Natasha Allegri in a series of web comics and drawings. She and the other gender-swapped characters appeared occasionally in their own segment of the show. She is usually seen in the company of Cake, her own stretchy companion and also adoptive sister. Her enemy is the Ice Queen. She used to have a crush on Prince Gumball and shows signs of attraction towards Marshall Lee, but she's also shown to have a past with the Flame Prince. Ice King fantasizes about one day making her real and marrying her.
- 1 Appearance
- 2 Personality and Traits
- 3 Episode Appearances
- 4 Relationships
- 5 Trivia
- 6 Quotes
- 7 Gallery
- 8 External links
- 9 References
She has fair skin, blue eyes (though they typically appear as black dots), and thick legs. She is somewhat more heavy-set than her counterpart Finn, and is called "chubby cute" by Natasha Allegri. Fionna wears a white, rabbit-themed hat (similar to Finn's bear-themed hat) with exposed locks of blonde hair covering part of her face. She has long, shiny, blonde hair that she almost always keeps tucked away in her hat. She has missing teeth like Finn, but she is also shown to have buck teeth in several episodes, which help add to her rabbit-like appearance.
She wears a blue shirt with elbow-length sleeves; a short, dark-blue skirt; white, over-the-knee socks with two thin, light-blue, horizontal stripes at the top; black Mary Jane shoes; and a two-toned green backpack.
Personality and Traits
Although Fionna is known to mostly keep her calm, she can be provoked to anger. She will often try to act like one of the guys, so she fits in easily with friends like Marshall Lee or Prince Gumball.
Fionna is a fearless, thrill-seeking, adventure-loving hero who will rescue any prince from the Ice Queen or do any task to better herself or help citizens. She, much like Finn, is also very hard-headed as shown when Cake wanted her to date Prince Gumball and she was stubborn about it.
During the events of "The Prince Who Wanted Everything," Fionna shows a rather ignorant personality towards Lumpy Space Prince. However, this trait may only exist in Lumpy Space Princess's stories, as LSP herself has a very similar personality.
So far, none of Fionna's fears have been introduced and she is known to be very courageous and brave.
Fionna will appear as the main character in the upcoming series Adventure Time: Fionna & Cake.
- "King Worm" (mentioned)
- "Mystery Dungeon" (In Ice King's Imagination, voiced by Neptr)
- "Fionna and Cake and Fionna"
- "Blenanas" (mentioned and pictured)
- "Diamonds and Lemons" (pictured, intro)
- "Come Along With Me" (mentioned)
As housemates, adopted sisters, and best friends, Fionna and Cake share a very deep and strong bond. Having been raised together by Cake's parents, the duo share a relationship similar to that of siblings, with Cake watching over Fionna and giving her advice constantly as her older sister. Though they have an unconditional love for each other, Fionna can get frustrated with Cake because of her pushiness, shown especially in "Fionna and Cake." Though she sometimes leads Fionna down the wrong path, Cake genuinely means well for her companion and is usually an encouraging and protecting figure. It is shown in the Card Wars comics that the two would go to great lengths for each other, despite the fact that Cake initially ignored Fionna (to train for the Card Wars tournament- similarly to her counterpart, Jake.) to study for the competition.
As the trusted steed of her crush Prince Gumball and the boyfriend of her best friend Cake, Fionna and Lord Monochromicorn are on good terms and are well acquainted with each other.
Prince Gumball was Fionna's crush. Fionna gets flustered if Prince Gumball compliments Fionna on being "beautiful." She acts in such a way as when Finn was in love with Princess Bubblegum. Although throughout the Fionna and Cake episodes, she no longer has feelings for him, but only sees him as a friend.
However, in the Card Wars comic series, it appears that Fionna still has feelings for Prince Gumball as she blushes several times. This continues until it is revealed that he is the Floop Master: and is on the verge of defeating Cake on a match of Card Wars. Fionna is surprised that he is the Floop Master, and Gumball tells her that the reason he never revealed his identity was because he didn't want to make her choose between Cake and himself. Fionna, however, says that that wasn't even a question and proceeds to help Cake win.
Fionna and Marshall Lee are good friends. In "Fionna and Cake," Marshall gives Fionna the sign of horns at Prince Gumball's ball. In "Bad Little Boy," he fakes a fatal wound and tells her that he might die, so she should just admit that she's in love with him. Fionna responds, crying and angry that he would ask something like that at a moment like that, to which he reveals he is faking and is punched by Fionna.
Fionna has a good relationship with Lumpy Space Prince. He doesn't interact directly with her until "The Prince Who Wanted Everything," but appeared in the two previous Fionna and Cake episodes, 1 with only a single line and the other with no lines at all. In the episode, Fionna helped him adjust to a normal life after running away from home, and assisted him in defeating his monstrous parents. While dancing, Fionna becomes entranced by his "handsome spell" and called him "pretty," which Lumpy Space Prince reacts by pushing her away, stating that they would never marry. Later, when the prince's monster parents arrived, Lumpy Space Prince apprised her that it was then his end, and asked if she made her proud, to which Fionna replies that she did not care. It was unknown if this means that Fionna actually does not care about the prince at all, but after his parents' defeat, Fionna becomes enticed by his "hotness" again and served him dinner with Cake.
Although Fionna seems to have some attraction toward Flame Prince in the Fionna and Cake comics, in "Five Short Tables," Fionna expresses either fear or nervousness when she sees him in the library. It can be assumed she was once in a relationship with him, but it ended up in a bad breakup, similar to Finn and Flame Princess's relationship, and that unlike their gender-swapped counterparts, they are not on good terms.
- Her name was officially changed from "Fiona" to "Fionna," with the pronunciation staying the same.
- Similar to how Finn had a crush on Princess Bubblegum, it is revealed in many portraits posted that Fionna had a crush on Prince Gumball.
- Despite Fionna holding her swords in her left hand in artwork and favoring her left hand when using her sword in "Fionna and Cake" she used her right hand exclusively in "The Prince Who Wanted Everything."
- Natasha Allegri stated that the dress she designed for Fionna is based off Princess Serenity's dress from the anime Sailor Moon.
- A skull wearing her hat is shown in "Beautopia" shown above the decaying corpse of a cat.
- Fionna is strong enough to lift and hold Prince Gumball, similar to how Finn can lift up Princess Bubblegum.
- In Fionna's description on the Cartoon Network website, she is referred to as an alternate version of Finn, rather than a fanfiction character.
- In the Fionna and Cake comic, Fionna has one of Finn's swords, although, Fionna has only been seen using the Crystal Sword and Kitty Litter Sword.
- She was briefly mentioned in "King Worm" when the Ice King was in trouble and mistakenly used the gender-swapped names when asking Finn and Jake for help.
- In the Norwegian Dub, Fionna's name was changed to Linn.
- When Natasha Allegri draws Fionna, she leaves the button on her backpack white. Although, on Finn's backpack, it is green.
- When Natasha Allegri draws Fionna in the comic, she sometimes doesn't draw the lines on her socks.
- In "Bad Little Boy," the cover of the Fionna and Cake book spelled Fionna with only one N.
- In the French dub of Adventure Time, Fionna is voiced by the same actress who voices her male counterpart, Finn.
- At the end of the credits for Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd you steal our garbage?!!, the screen that shows Finn and the Ice King facing each other fades into a screen of Fionna and the Ice Queen facing each other in the same position.
- In Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON’T KNOW! Fionna has buck teeth possibly to add to her rabbit theme.
- Lumpy Space Princess' version of Fionna is an "adolescent" (meaning between the of ages 10 and 19) according to the song Lumpy Space Prince sings.
Appearance in other media
- There is a licensed Halloween costume of Fionna.
- In the then-popular Facebook game "Pet Society," there was a Fionna costume labeled "Odyssey Girl Outfit."
- Fionna appears as a playable character in FusionFall Heroes.
- Fionna is a playable character in Adventure Time Battle Party.
- A robot ice version of Fionna created by Ice King appears as a boss, along with Cake and the Ice King in Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON’T KNOW!
- Lisa is dressed as Fionna in The Simpsons episode "Treehouse of Horror XXV."
- Germaine is dressed as Fionna and also has a figurine of her along with the other Adventure Time characters in the Neurotically Yours episode "Charlie Browned."
|The full image gallery for Fionna may be viewed at Fionna/Gallery.|