Choose Goose is a talking goose who speaks (almost) exclusively in rhymes. He sells various rare objects for adventuring or assisting Finn and Jake, but most of what he possesses either backfires or is mostly useless.
His first appearance is in the episode "Blood Under the Skin," where Finn and Jake visit his store. Finn asks for some armor to make himself seem tough, but Choose Goose keeps teasing and embarrassing him. Finally, Finn tells him to get serious and suggest some real armor. But when Choose Goose does, he asks for Jake's head as payment, and Finn rejects it. Then Choose Goose gives him a scroll with a poem that is supposed to lead them to where the most "chk chk" armor is, but they have to figure out what the poem means.
Choose Goose appears again in the episode "The Real You," where Finn and Jake go to his stand, and Finn asks for something to make him smarter. Choose Goose tells him he will do it as long as he entertains him, so Finn draws a face on his finger and pretends to make it sing and dance. Choose Goose then gives him the "Glasses of Nerdicon," which make Finn smarter.
In the episode "Finn the Human," a guy named "Choose Bruce" and some other people try to make the Destiny Gang leave town. Later, he gives Finn a weapon to attach to his robotic arm to help him fight the Destiny Gang. Lastly, he is seen crying because his stand and the entire village are getting burned down.
In the episode "All the Little People," a toy version of him dances the tango with a toy version of Lollipop Girl. Later in the episode, a toy version of Abracadaniel starts to hug them, but then they get all tangled up and start rolling around. Finally, they dance at the party Finn makes for them.
In the episode "Blade of Grass," Finn and Jake go to see Choose Goose to ask him where the Grassy Wizard lived so they could return their grass sword. At first, he refused to tell them because they bought a sword from another guy, but then Finn convinced him that they only did it one time. He forgave them and told them the Grassy Wizard lived on top of a hill.
In the Elements saga episode, "Winter Light", Choose Goose was transformed into an ice elemental version of himself called Achoose Goose and became very melancholy as a result. He acted as Patience St. Pim's pet.
Choose Goose appears in Issue 8 when Finn and Jake are in the future and they meet Choose Goose in the future. He tries selling them a giant laser sword but it cost too much so he ran away laughing.
In "Together Again", Finn finds Choose Goose in the Land of the Dead. Specifically, in the swamps of the 1st Dead World, where the worst of the worst reside. Choose Goose expresses dismay at where he was sent, protesting that "rhymes aren't crimes." Finn enters the marsh to try to save him, but Choose Goose warns him to stay back and shields him from the other souls as they try to swamp Finn. Later, when Finn, Jake, and Mr. Fox defeat the Lich and restore the Land of the Dead, Choose Goose is apparently given the chance to go to a better part of the afterlife.
In "Wizard City" it is revealed that he drank the ichor of Coconteppi. He was initially thought to be dead like Bufo, but just like the Bufo tadpoles were revealed as surviving (albeit their frog host was dead, and they wanted to be put into Cadebra's body) Choose Goose also survived drinking the ichor (poisonous to most) and also imbibes the Bufo tadpoles into himself. It isn't clear if this happens before or after the events of Together Again.
Choose Goose has long, plump, orange legs, which seem to look like striped tights. He wears a blue mid-century "lute suit" with a long green feather on the matching hat. His limbs seem to be very weak and flexible. He also has a long, floppy neck with a red stripe on it.
- "Blood Under the Skin" (debut)
- "The Real You"
- "Finn the Human" (Choose Bruce)
- "All the Little People" (as a toy)
- "Blade of Grass"
- "Beyond the Grotto" (Grotto version)
- "Winter Light" (as Achoos Goose)
- "Together Again"
- "Wizard City (episode)"
- "Bespoken For" (name written)
- Legends of Ooo
- Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd you steal our garbage?!!
- Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON’T KNOW!
- Adventure Time: The Secret of the Nameless Kingdom
Choose some protection from my selection.
If you can decipher the poem and complete the trials; you will receive the magical Armor of Zeldron. It is foretold to be totally *chk-chk*.
The quest that you are on requires... the Glasses of Nerdicon!
Being Choose Goose is no lark... especially now that I'm turning dark. *Manic Laughing*
- According to the commentary on the animatic of "The Enchiridion!" in the Adventure Time Season 1 DVD collection, Choose Goose was originally created for this episode, but was cut for time. He can be seen in early storyboards of this episode.
- His voice imitates, or is a possible homage to, American comedian and actor Ed Wynn.
- In the episode "Blood Under the Skin," there was a necklace in his stall with a pink prism that resembles the Holo-pendant that Princess Bubblegum gave to Finn in "The Other Tarts."
- In Spanish, his name is "Ganso Manso," which translates into "meek goose."
- In Brazilian Portuguese, it is "Gansinho Vizinho," which translates into "Gosling Neighbor."
- On Friday, March 22, 2013, Choose Goose hosted a special programming block called the "Goose Choice Awards," in lieu of Cartoon Planet, in which Choose Goose gave out Golden Gooses to episodes of various Cartoon Network programming. "Too Young" and "Bad Little Boy" both won awards.
- It is possible he has some relation to Bruce Guese, who wrote the article for Simon Petrikov's finding of the Enchiridion in the newspaper clipping in "I Remember You."
- It was stated by storyboard writers of the show on the Season Two DVD commentary of the episode "Blood Under the Skin" that his legs might be limp from either laziness, or from his travels of collecting the various objects that he sells.
- At one point in the Cartoon Network online game Legends of Ooo, he does not rhyme because he is annoyed.
- According to "How to Warrior by Fionna and Cake" the gender swap Choose Goose is Swap Swan.