Adventure Time is a comic book series published by BOOM! Studios, written by Dinosaur Comics creator Ryan North, and illustrated by Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb. The comic book is released monthly, beginning with issue #1 in February 2012.
The comic is not canonical with the Adventure Time TV series' story. Adam Muto has speculated that it may take place in a different reality. Either way, the events of the comics have several events irreconcilable with the TV series.
Each issue includes at least two comics: The lead story is written by North and drawn in the style of the cartoon by Paroline and Lamb; and one or more backup stories created by an indie comic artist, drawn in their own style.
The main story features small messages at the bottom of many of the pages. This is a trademark of writer Ryan North, whose Dinosaur Comics always contain semi-hidden messages and commentary.
The first storyline in the series is a four-parter by North, split between issues #1 through #4.
List of issues
|Cover||Story||Backup story||Release date|
|Issue 1||The Lich reawakens and traps Finn and Jake.|
(Part 1 of 4)
|"My Cider the Mountain" by Aaron Renier||February|
|Issue 2||Finn and Jake are stuck in the Lich's Bag of Holding while Marceline, Princess Bubblegum, and Lumpy Space Princess are stuck, too.|
(Part 2 of 4)
|"Laundromarceline" by Lucy Knisley|
"After the Show" by Zac Gorman
|Issue 3||The Ice King and Desert Princess make an army of Finn and Jakes to help battle the Lich.|
(Part 3 of 4)
|"Bacon Fields" by Michael DeForge||April|
|Issue 4||With The Lich defeated, The Land of Ooo is restored. The only problem is that it is covered by all the sand from The Bag of Holding & Desert Princess is missing!|
(Part 4 of 4)
|"The Ultimate Party Dip" by Chris Eliopoulos||May|
|Issue 5||Finn and Jake journey into a new part of Ooo.
(Part 1 of 5)
| "Emit Erutnevda" by Paul Pope
"Ice King Dumb" by Georgia and Chris Robison
|Issue 6||Jake causes trouble when he messes with Princess Bubblegum's time machine.|
(Part 2 of 5)
|"Level 99" by Anthony Clark||July|
|Issue 7||Finn and Jake end up in the future with no way to return home.|
(Part 3 of 5)
|"Time Waits For No One" by Shannon Wheeler||August|
|Issue 8||Finn, Jake, and QB try to defend the Candy Kingdom.|
(Part 4 of 5)
|"Happy Birthday Hot Dog Princess!" by Frank Gibson and Becky Dreistadt||September 2012|
|Issue 9||Finn and Jake try to return to their own time.|
(part 5 of 5)
|"Fishling" by Chris and Shane Houghton||October 2012|
|Issue 10||Finn and Jake are possessed by the reader thanks to the Ice King's new spell.||"Hot Deals in the Ice Kingdom" by Jon M. Gibson & Jim Rugg||November 2012|
|Issue 11||Finn, Jake, and Marceline enter BMO's Main Brain Game Frame to play "Super Guts Punch 3."|
(Part 1 of 4)
|"The Meaning of Bravery" by Zack Giallongo||December 2012|
|Issue 12||Lumpy Space Princess forces her way into "Super Guts Punch 3" which causes BMO to malfunction.|
(Part 2 of 4)
|"The Ice King and His Magical Matchmaking Mini Comic" by Alexis and Andrew||January 2013|
|Issue 13||(Part 3 of 4)||"Princess of Rad Hats part 1" by Chris Schweizer||February 2013|
|Issue 14||(Part 4 of 4)||"Princess of Rad Hats part 2" by Chris Schweizer||March|
|Issue 15||Magic Man tries to be a jerk to the Princesses and Finn and Jake try to stop him.||"GIVE US BACK BMO!" by Jeremy Sorese||April|
|Issue 16||Finn and Jake battle the Ice King in order to save Lumpy Space Princess.||"Opposite Day" by Sina Grace and S. Steven Struble and "Ninja Princess" by Reed, Grant, and Jai Nitz with illustrations by Pranas T. Naujokaitis.||May|
|Issue 17||(Part 1 of 4)||"Silly String Theory" by Jay Hosler||June|
|Issue 18||(Part 2 of 4)||"Publish or Perish"||July|
|Issue 19||(Part 3 of 4)||"Ambitreacherous" by Andy Hirsch||August 2013|
|Issue 20||(Part 4 of 4)||"Grocery Time! - Part One" by Zack Smith||September 2013|
|Issue 21||Finn and Jake protect their friends from the Ice King.||"Beach Bum Boogie" by Zack Giallongo||October|
|Issue 22||Finn and Jake find themselves in a sticky situation when Princess Bubblegum's experiments searching for the origin of life go horribly wrong.||"Grocery Time! - Part Two" by Zack Smith||November 2013|
|Issue 23||Princess Bubblegum and Marceline race against time to save the inhabitants of Ooo from the Princess' rogue experiment.||"Booty and the Beast" by Jen Bennett||December 2013|
|Issue 24||Princess Bubblegum faces the consequences of her science experiment gone wrong as she finally finds a way to save the day! But is it too late? Find out if Princess Bubblegum is able to right all her wrongs or if her friends will never be themselves again, it's a crazy conclusion to this arc!||"A Bun's Life" by Kristina Ness||January 2014|
|Issue 25||A love story told from the perspectice of a red gem named Carl - pining for Gemma, a blue gemstone.||N/A||February 2014|
|Issue 26||Finn and Jake have always been best buds; they are always together, it's just something best buds do. But what happens when these two friends get separated during a crazy adventure with twists and turns? Will our pals be able to find each other again or is this just all part of growing up?||"Sphagnum Shmagnum" by James the Stanton||March|
|Issue 27||This special arc with guest artist Jim Rugg continues!! Finn and Jake might have finally met their match, but what will happen with it turns out that the match isn’t a match at all? Things are getting crazy in the land of Ooo and it looks like our heroes might need someone to save them this time around.||"Jelly Wars" by Eric M. Esquivel||April|
|Issue 28||With one answer, there is always a million questions. Finn and Jake find themselves out of one problem and into another. It looks like it's going to be a race to the finish as our heroes discover what it really means to be a friend, and learn something about themselves along the way.||"Jelly Wars - Part Two" by Eric M. Esquivel||May|
|Issue 29||Finn and Jake are back in their bodies, but it looks like the damage is done. Will our heroes be able to right everything they’ve done or is Ooo finally lost? With the help of an unlikely source, this day might be saved. Last issue by the talented Jim Rugg (Street Angel, Afrodisiac)!||"A Dish Best Served Gross" by Josh Tierney and Michael Dialynas||June|
|Issue 30||To celebrate the 30th issue of her "Marcelzine", Marceline releases a collection of mini-comics written by her friends.||N/A||July|
|Issue 31||When Princess Bubblegum and Marceline get their driver's licenses, they have the perfect plan—build a giant ramp and drive off of it! It's gonna be so much fun...wait, who's the Mnemonoid, and why is he all up in this comic?||"Lemongrab's Makeover" by Sara & Sam Ellis||August|
|Issue 32||Finn is on an impossible mission to break Mnemonoid’s curse so that he can finally live his life…and remember it! It's going to take a lot of pal time and a lot of help from the best of friends but this definitely seems like an adventure that Finn and Jake can take—if only Finn could remember.||"Mystery Plop" (Part 1) by Kat Leyh||September 2014|
|Issue 33||Mnemonoid’s hold on Finn is proving to be stronger than anyone had thought and it's taking the whole crew to band together to help their friend, only this time, there really might be nothing they can do. It's up to Finn to stand up to Mnemonoid, if only he could find the bully.||"Over the Garden Wall" by Pat McHale and Jim Campbell||October|
|Issue 34||Finn has made it to Mnemonoid at last! It's time for this adventure to end and for Finn to finally get his memory back. It might seem like an easy end, but it looks like there is still one more trick up Mnemonoid's sleeve.||"Mystery Plop" (Part 2) by Kat Leyh||December 2014|
|Issue 35||It's the end of an era... the last ADVENTURE TIME issue featuring the Eisner Award-winning team of Ryan North, Shelli Paroline, and Braden Lamb. It's your chance to say goodbye, and experience an adventure you'll never forget.||N/A||December 2014|
|Issue 36||It's the first Adventure Time starring its new creative team! With indie all-star Chris Hastings writing and the amazingly talented Zachary Sterling on art, these mathematical adventures are only going to get more algebraic!||"Grand Prize" by Michelle and Heather Nunnelly||January 2015|
|Issue 37||It's the first Adventure Time starring its new creative team! With indie all-star Chris Hastings writing and the amazingly talented Zachary Sterling on art, these mathematical adventures are only going to get more algebraic!||"Same Math...Different Day" by Travis J. Hill||February 2015|
|Issue 38||Magic Man's hold on Finn is proving to be stronger than anyone had thought and it's taking the whole crew to band together to help their friend, only this time, there really might be nothing they can do. It's up to Finn to stand up to Magic Man, if only he could find the bully.||"Worst Day" by Rachel Edidin and Kel McDonald||March 2015|
|Issue 39||The entire world of Ooo is not able to cook but Jake comes through and saves the day with his sandwiches. It's not over yet, though, as the witch is gonna summon her ultimate monster baddie.||"Grocery Kingdom" by Kat Leyh||April|
|Issue 40||It's a special interactive, one-shot issue! Magic Man plans to use the reader to help beat Finn and Jake, but can our heroes turn the tables? Features a special short written by debut writer Henry Leo and Matt Fraction (Hawkeye)!||"Axe Before Taking" by Jake Wyatt||May|
|Issue 41||New story arc! Peppermint Butler is one of the most mysterious dudes in Ooo. When he approaches Finn and Jake to recruit them for the secret agency he runs, they've just gotta join and see what's going on!||"Dad Olympics" by Phillip Jacobson||June|
|Issue 42||Finn and Jake are on the run, trying to figure out who on the inside framed them for the destruction of Peppermint Butler's secret security team.||"Sir BMO" by Ian McGinty||July|
|Issue 43||Lumpy Space Prince decides to train Cake to beat the Floop Master in the upcoming Card Wars tournament!||"Open Mic" by Shawn Steven Struble and Ben Sears||August 2015|
|Issue 44||Finn and Jake are pretty sure the King of Ooo's big conference is a trap and have to sneak in to stop it!||"Tiger and the Moon" by Colin Andersen||September 2015|
|Issue 45||Special one-shot issue! Finn and Jake get trapped in a time-looping mirror maze!||"Finders Keepers" by Dave Scheidt and Jess Smart Smiley||October 2015|
|Issue 46||When one of Joshua's old spells wears off, Finn and Jake find themselves facing an old childhood friend that neither of them can remember!||"Water Strike" by Mady Martin||November 2015|
|Issue 47||Finn, Jake, and their mysterious "old friend" travel to Jake’s parents' old apartment in the city to figure out what’s going on!||"Sick Day" by Colin Andersen||December 2015|
|Issue 48||Finn and Jake learn the truth about their mysterious old friend and her connection to Joshua’s spell.||"Flowers for Paulticore" (Part 1) by Dale Beran and David Hellman||January 2016|
|Issue 49||Finn and Jake's old friend has to make a sacrifice to defeat a monstrous threat.||"Flowers for Paulticore" (Part 2) by Dale Beran and David Hellman||February 2016|
|Issue 50||Finn takes a tour of his past lives when he astral projects through an old photo album.||N/A||March|
|Issue 51||After too many back-to-back quests, Jake and Finn disagree on how important doing this hero stuff really is.||N/A||April|
|Issue 52||In the ghost realm, Jake is met with some pretty familiar challenges to overcome.||N/A||May|
|Issue 53||Jake successfully fools King Ghost of the ghost realm and must escape with the cure for Finn.||N/A||June|
|Issue 54||Finn and Jake are sheriff and deputy of a wild west town.||N/A||July|
|Issue 55||Finn and Jake discover that it's not just them-everyone in Ooo is trapped in their own little realities.||N/A||August 2016|
|Issue 56||Finn and Jake look for BMO in order to break free of the fantasies they’re trapped in.||N/A||September 2016|
|Issue 57||Finn and Jake make it to the core of BMOWORLD and confront the real culprit behind this mess||N/A||October|
|Issue 58||Finn decides to become a dungeon master like his father figure Joshua was!||N/A||November|
|Issue 59||Finn finds his current adventure to be a bit more than he expected, but he's getting really into it. It's kind of like how someone approaches taking over their basement with a model train set.||N/A||December|
|Issue 60||Finn gets into the dungeon-making scene and meets fellow dungeon masters, some of whom are villains from Finn’s past!||N/A||January|
|Issue 61||Finn becomes a bit obsessed with building his perfect dungeon, losing the plot a bit, and toys with terrible and great evil forces to build his ideal dungeon understand Joshua better through dungeoncraft||N/A||February|
|Issue 62||A contest is started to see who is the best Princess in all of Ooo!||N/A||March|
|Issue 63||The Princess competition continues with everyone trying to do their best despite the prankster trying to ruin their fun.||N/A||April|
|Issue 64||The Best Princess Ever is finally going to be chosen! Who will it be? And will the prankster finally reveal themselves before they ruin the whole event?||N/A||May|
|Issue 65||It's finally time to decide who is the best princess ever!||N/A||June|
|Issue 66||It's a hot air balloon adventure! Finn and Jake decide to take their questing to the sky in this new story arc from novelist Delilah S. Dawson (Ladycastle)!||N/A||July|
|Issue 67||The epic trip around the world continues with everyone trying to find what they need to keep their hot air balloons afloat!||N/A||August 2017|
|Issue 68||The hot air balloon battle takes a twist as Finn and Jake fight to get to the last statue.||N/A||September 2017|
|Issue 69||As the balloon race comes to an end, Princess Bubblegum finally gets to the bottom of what is going on!||N/A||October 2017|
|Issue 70||Finn and Jake take the day off from adventuring to enjoy a new carnival, where a witch offers to make them free doubles-twice the Finn and Jake fun!|
(Part 1 of 4)
|Issue 71||While the real Finn and Jake live it up at the amusement park, their doubles are making the Candy Kingdom better than ever. Is this too good to be true?|
(Part 2 of 4)
|Issue 72||While Finn and Jake to take down an army of doubles, their other doubles have taken over the Candy Kingdom!|
(Part 3 of 4)
|Issue 73||Finn and Jake might have finally figured out a way to get rid of their doubles… but what do they do when everyone else likes the doubles more?|
(Part 4 of 4)
|Issue 74||Magic Man is causing all of Ooo to lose its color! Only the brave hero holding this book has the power to bring color back to Ooo and set Everything right before Finn, Jake, and everyone else is in black-and-white forever!||N/A||March 2018|
|Issue 75||At the wedding of Jake's granddaughter, Jake, Finn, and the residents of Ooo reminisce on the long path that took them here, remembering friends, enemies, and those who fall somewhere in between.||N/A||April 2018|
|Cover||Story||Backup story||Release date|
|Free Comic Book Day: 2012||
BMO trains to get good at fights, with help from Finn and Jake and Princess Bubblegum
|Laundromarceline (repeat)||May 5, 2012 (Free Comic Book Day)|
|Adventure Time: Cover Showcase||A collection of previous Adventure Time covers packaged into one high-quality special issue.||N/A||December 2012|
|Adventure Time: Annual 2013||Contains several stories: "A, You're Adventurous", "A Sword Most Awesome", "No Dogs Allowed", "Dungeons and Desserts", "The Summiteers" and "The Lemon Sea".||N/A||May 2013|
|Adventure Time: Summer Special 2013||Contains several stories: "The Desert Treasure", "The Sucker Seeker", "Heart" and "A Penny Burned".||N/A||July 2013|
|Adventure Time: 2013 Spoooktacular||Contains several stories: "The Costume Party", "Secret 'Stache", "Halloween Horticulture" and "Bad Girl Gone Good".||N/A||October 2013|
|Adventure Time: Winter Special 2014||Contains several stories: "The Snow Hope", "Pups In Peril", "A Sour Winter" and "Eye Scream".||N/A||December 2013|
|Adventure Time: 2015 Spoooktacular||If you’ve ever wondered what Marceline was like before she became a Vampire, here’s your chance to find out!||N/A||October 2015|
|Adventure Time: 2016 Spoooktacular||TBA||N/A||September 2016|
|Adventure Time: 2017 Spoooktacular||Contains four short stories: "The Morning Ritual", "War Of The Magicians", "Gumball's Masquerade" and "Candy In The House".||N/A||October 2017|
|Original issue||Omnibus editions|
|with main stories||with short stories|
|Issue 1|| |
and Volume 1 Mathematical Edition (hardcover)
Sugary Shorts Volume 1
and Sugary Shorts Volume 1 Mathematical Edition (hardcover)
|Issue 5|| |
and Volume 2 Mathematical Edition (hardcover)
|Issue 10|| |
and Volume 3 Mathematical Edition (hardcover)
|Issue 15|| |
and Volume 4 Mathematical Edition (hardcover)
|Issue 20|| |
and Volume 5 Mathematical Edition (hardcover)
|Issue 25|| |
and Volume 6 Mathematical Edition (hardcover)
Sugary Shorts Volume 2
and Sugary Shorts Volume 2 Mathematical Edition (hardcover)
|Issue 30|| |
and Volume 7 Mathematical Edition (hardcover)
|Issue 35|| |
and Volume 8 Mathematical Edition (hardcover)
Sugary Shorts Volume 3
Sugary Shorts Volume 4
KaBOOM! Studios has released several spin-off miniseries. After the completion of each miniseries, a trade paperback version (TPB) containing the entire miniseries, as well as a hardcover "Mathematical Edition" with special features has been released (similar to the way the main series has been released in TPB and hardcover formats).
- Adventure Time: Marceline And The Scream Queens
- Adventure Time with Fionna and Cake
- Adventure Time: Candy Capers
- Adventure Time: The Flip Side
- Adventure Time: Banana Guard Academy
- Began July 9, 2014
- Written by Kent Osborne; Art by Mad Rupert
- Summary: Root Beer Guy starts his search for new recruits for the Banana Guard
- TPB released July 14, 2015
- Adventure Time: Marceline Gone Adrift
- Adventure Time with Fionna and Cake: Card Wars
- Began July 15, 2015
- Written by Jen Wang; Art by Britt Wilson
- TPB released
- Adventure Time: Ice King
- Began January 20, 2016
- Written by Emily Partridge and Pranas Naujokaitis; Art by Natalie Andrewson
- TPB released December 20, 2016
- Adventure Time/Regular Show
- Began August 2, 2017
- Written by Conor McCreery; Art by Mattia Di Meo
- Summary: Finn and Jake travel to Regular Show's world to save Ooo from a new villain.
- TPB released May 8, 2018
- Adventure Time: Beginning of the End
- Began May 23, 2018
- Written by Ted Anderson; Art by Marina Julia
- Summary: When Finn breaks a promise he can't remember making, time itself begins to unravel around him. Finn must confront the ghosts of his past selves, the alternate selves of his present, and all his possible futures, while Jake gathers help from all of Ooo and beyond.
- TPB released October 23, 2018
- Adventure Time Season 11
- Began October 10, 2018
- Written by Sonny Liew and Ted Anderson; Art by Marina Julia
- Summary: A comic book sequel to the animated show that takes place in the aftermath of The Great Gum War and GOLB's attack; and it's up to Finn, Jake, thier friends, and with some new and unexpected friends, to pick up the pieces that were left behind by.
- TPB releasing November 12, 2019
- Adventure Time: Marcy and Simon
- Began January 16, 2018
- Written by Olivia Olson; Art by Slimm Fabert
- Summary: After the events of the Great Gum War and GOLB's attack, Marceline and Simon are finally reunited! Now together, Simon asks Marceline for help in making amends for his time as Ice King, which leads them, Finn, and Jake on an adventure with so many twists and turns, even our skilled heroes have a hard time keeping up.
- TPB releasing December 10, 2019
KaBOOM! Studios has also released a series of standalone original graphic novels.
- Adventure Time Vol. 1: Playing With Fire
- Released May 15, 2013
- Written by Danielle Corsetto; Art by Zack Sterling
- Summary: Flame Princess joins Finn and Jake on an adventure. The story develops Flame Princess' and Finn's romantic relationship.
- Adventure Time Vol. 2: Pixel Princesses
- Adventure Time Vol. 3: Seeing Red
- Adventure Time Vol. 4: Bitter Sweets
- Released November 5, 2014.
- Written by Kate Leth; Art by Zack Sterling.
- Summary: Princess Bubblegum leaves the Candy Kingdom and ventures into the outer limits of Ooo.
- Adventure Time Vol. 5: Graybles Schmaybles
- Released April 1, 2015.
- Written by Danielle Corsetto; Art by Bridget Underwood.
- Summary: TBA
- Adventure Time Vol. 6: Masked Mayhem
- Released November 11, 2015.
- Written by Kate Leth and Meredith McClaren; Art by Drew Green, Vaughn Pinpin and Meredith McClaren.
- Summary: Finn and Jake help a baby cube find its mother.
- Adventure Time Vol. 7: The Four Castles
- Released May 4, 2016.
- Written by Josh Trujillo; Art by Zachary Sterling and Phil Murphy.
- Summary: Finn and Jake meet the Guildmaster, who invites them into the Heroes Guild of the Manyverse, but first, they are to retrieve four artifacts for him.
- Adventure Time Vol. 8: President Bubblegum
- Released September 27, 2016
- Written by Josh Trujillo; Art by Zachary Sterling and Phil Murphy.
- Summary: Princess Bubblegum wins the election and becomes "President Bubblegum."
- Adventure Time: Islands
- Released December 6, 2016
- Written by Ashly Burch; Art by Diigii Daguna.
- Summary: The remaining humans of Ooo have set sail for safer shores. They soon reach a plentiful island populated by another gregarious group of humans and attempt to build a new colony. Disaster strikes, however, and separated from her tribe, Jo must brave the dangers of the wild to get back home.
- Adventure Time Vol. 9: Brain Robbers
- Adventure Time Vol. 10: The Ooorient Express
- Adventure Time Vol. 11: Princess & Princess
- Adventure Time Vol. 12: Thunder Road
- Adventure Time Vol. 13: Marceline the Pirate Queen
- Released February 26, 2019
- Written by Leah Williams; Art by Zachary Sterling
- Summary: When one of Princess Bubblegum’s treasures gets stolen by pirates, she sends Marceline and BMO to retrieve it.
Adventure Time Comics
Adventure Time Comics is a separate series that began in 2016 and ran for 25 issues. Each issue has a different writer and artist.
The Adventure UnfoldsThe Adventure Unfolds is a fold out comic by Jon Chad limited to 700 copies. It was only available at San Diego Comic Con 2012 for the price of $30. On July 25, Boom Studios began selling it on their website for $40.
- Pendleton Ward made a cover for the first issue of the comic.
- Various of the primary stories contain messages written at the bottom, below the panels, as if a narrator/writer is speaking in a fourth-wall-breaking style. The hardback collection of issues 1~4 retains these messages.
- In addition, issues 1 and 3 of the comic contain messages written by Marceline in a Pigpen cipher. The known letters of the cipher are in the chart to the right. Note that the first section spells out "vampire" and the rest of the letters are apparently in alphabetical order, making it fairly easy to guess the unknown letters.
Advertisements for the comic
Behind the scenes info:
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 http://www.comicsalliance.com/2011/11/19/adventure-time-comic-series-boom-kaboom-february/
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 http://www.comicvine.com/podcast/?podcast_id=117 (00:10:10)
Ryan North: "The book's divided into two parts. There's the part that I'm writing, which is on-model, looks like the show... continuing the adventure part of it. And the other part, [every month] there'll be a stand-alone story done by an indie cartoonist, done in their own style, which I think is really cool."
- ↑ http://ryannorth.tumblr.com/post/23729809967/something-that-comes-up-pretty-often-is-this
- ↑ http://new.spring.me/#!/MrMuto/q/358994005662390868
- ↑ http://www.comicvine.com/podcast/?podcast_id=117
- ↑ http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/04/15/boom-spins-off-adventure-time-comic-marceline-scream-queens
- ↑ Adventure Time: Marceline and the Scream Queens
- ↑ http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/10/10/adventure-time-with-fionna-and-cake-comic-miniseries-boom-studios/
- ↑ http://www.comicsalliance.com/2012/07/09/adventure-time-the-adventure-unfolds-mini-comic-jon-chad-sdcc-exclusive/
- ↑ http://www.boom-studios.com/adventure-time-the-adventure-unfolds-mini-comic-sdcc-12-exclusive.html?SID=d59eph6djol79i6f2nrq612qs7
- ↑ http://www.newsarama.com/tv/adventure-time-pendleton-ward-2-120214.html